Questions to Ask When Interviewing Moving Companies
Hiring a reputable moving company to transport your valuable home or office possessions and fragile items is an incredibly important task, with many questions to be considered during your interview process. Whether you’re moving because of a job relocation within the same city or because you’re choosing to start a new life several states away, movers can be an integral part of a successful move.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 40 million citizens have moved annually during the last decade. The vast majority (84.5%) moved within their own state, while 12.5% moved to another state and 2.3% moved to another country. Many of those who have moved have employed movers to help with this sometimes overwhelmingly large task.
If you’re moving, it’s important to consider the many factors involved in a successful move. Interviewing potential moving companies can help make your decision easier. Following are some of the questions you should ask moving companies:
- How many years has your company been in business? Have you always been in this line of work?
- What are examples of your successful moves?
- Can you provide references?
- What are your services and charges?
- What is the schedule for payments (at what points are the payments made such as prior to service or at the end of the service)?
- Are there any limitations in your moving services?
- What affects pricing? For many movers this is affected by factors such as weight of the inventory, the distance of the move, the season and weather that will be involved, how easily the destination is reached, any extra services requested, and more.
- Does your staff do the packing and unpacking if requested? Will the movers stretch wrap, pad and cover the belongings for protection throughout the move? Can you sell to me or provide the necessary boxes, bubble wrap, tape, furniture pads, dollies, and other needed items to protect the furniture and to facilitate the moving process itself?
- Are you equipped to transport unique pieces such as a piano, large dining room table or other large furniture, a china cabinet, an oversized television?
- Please provide me with a timeline — detailing the steps involved and how long it will take.
You will have peace of mind and avoid a great deal of stress when you choose a reputable moving company to be in charge of your relocation. Your move should happen in an efficient, safe way with no damage to your belongings. If you ask the right questions, your movers should not only meet, but exceed your expectations.